Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Found: Priceless Vintage Cola Bottle

What a find!. . . .Priceless?. . .Yes--to me . . .But now we have a mystery. . . .I love mysteries, don't you? . . .The avenues I go down to solve one sometimes frustrates others but never me. . . .I have my suspicions about this one's history but have yet to find confirmation. . . .Maybe you can help?


We found the Moody's Made Right Beverage bottle under our own C. A. Smith Grocery. . . .It must date back to the early 1930s to 1940s. . . .According to the net, beginning in 1933 a form of silk screening was introduced to put colored labels on bottles. The colored label was actually fused to the glass. This was cheaper and faster than using the molds needed for embossed bottles. . . .Their 'heyday' was during the 30s-40s and are very popular with collectors. . . .

I suspect this one came from the L. M. Moody Grocery in downtown Dell, Arkansas. . . .I'm thinking maybe a local cola bottling plant produced beverage bottles inscribed with any logo. . . .because. . . .we've found many similar ones around the farm. . . .Some with cotton bolls. . . .Some with family names. . . .Some with embossed glass and silk screening . . . .This is the first one I've found that I can 'almost definitely' tie to the local area. . . .and for sure to the Delta. . . .I've been so excited about it that I'm very anxious for an answer . . . .So, if you can solve our mystery of the Moody's Made Right Beverage bottle, please email. . .Or, if you can verify that a local bottling plant produced personalized beverages, we'd appreciate that information, too. . . .I remember the Coca Cola Bottling Company in Blytheville. . . .Could they have produced this one?

No matter what we find or how long it takes. . . .this little piece of Delta history will be proudly displayed in the C. A. Smith Grocery Museum. . . .Finds like this make all our work with preserving history worth it. . . .
Yes. . . .LIFE IS GOOD. . . .


Want to read more about painted soda bottles?