Tuesday, November 30, 2021

Christmas Comes To A Delta Log Cabin

 I happened upon this iconic log cabin in Bernie, Missouri (yes, it's a part of the Delta), several years ago when we arrived at White House Creations for a unique shopping experience . . .It was an added bonus that we knew nothing about. . .Finding such a place of history representing the families of our Delta past come few and far between these days. . .There was a time. . .and not so long ago and even into the latter half of the 20th century. . .that scenes such as this were not uncommon. .but with 'progress' more and more of our farm family houses fell into ruin. . .


But there was a time when even the simplest of Delta farm houses were decorated every Christmas in as grand a style as possible for the pocketbook. . .Rows of tenant houses on the back roads of farms and the countryside sported strings of lights outlining the humble porches. . .homemade wreaths on the doors. . .and a Christmas tree always in the window. . .Everyone celebrated Christmas. . .with few exceptions. . .

I was so thrilled recently when I visited Dottie's White House Creations to find that true to a love of Delta history, her old log cabin close-by was decked out inside and out with Christmas cheer. . .I just had to snap a lot of photos. . .to capture a snippet of a time long gone but still in the hearts of so many of us. . .

Dottie and I share many of the same memories of growing up in Northeast Arkansas and the Bootheel of Missouri. . .It was a way of life common to us both. . .I can also relate to her childhood stories of Missouri. . .My Duncan grandparents lived in Kennett. . .I have roamed all over the Bootheel with Daddy and my Granny. . .Life in both areas was pretty much the same. . .based on agriculture and the small towns that served the communities. . .and Christmas was no different. . .Celebrated and decorated by all, it was a time of truly great joy and anticipation. . .


No matter how common and simple. . .

By the way, for a true Delta experience from the past, you can spend the night here, too. . .Just call Dottie at White House Creations in Bernie, MO, and she will give you all the details. . .


3 comments:

Deanna Dobie said...

Such an awesome cozy feeling I get from these photos! I love your dedication in keeping memories alive. Montreal, Canada

The Farmers Daughter said...

Thank you for your encouraging comment! You made my day! Have a wonderful holiday!

breeze in the night said...

Your blog is calming me. Remind me of my countrydide . Please keep writing. You are the inspiration.