Thursday, November 9, 2017

SEASONED SOUTHERN STYLE: Simply Good Food



". . .It was a revelation to find, when I first went north, that what we ate was not what everybody else in the country eats, because southerners, no matter where they were on the social ladder, ate pretty much as we did. The ingredients were the same, although the preparation might differ with the level of affluence. . ." **

GRAPE NUTS TEA BREAD***  (RECIPE LINK BELOW)

As I've discovered in life that SIMPLE can be the best. . .and the healthiest. . .so have I found it to be true of the foods we eat. . .

After years of trying new recipes with a long list of ingredients, seeking healthy alternatives to gluten and dairy, trying to eliminate preservatives and pesticides, I have decided to return to the food of my childhood. . .simple foods made from scratch (mostly) and of the freshest ingredients I can find. . .I think today's term for this way of thinking is 'eating clean'. . .I call it common sense. . .

In this community, we have had numerous octogenarians and at least four that I can count right now who are still living in their 90s+. . . My own great Aunt Pearl lived to be 101 (or was it 103?) years old. . . How did they do it? What was their secret to longevity? . .I can think of several reasons. . .and most definitely I'm convinced their diet played a huge roll. . .They ate whole  foods. . .grew their own gardens. . .canned their own fruits and vegetables. . .used mostly basic and easy recipes. . .They ate meat from the chicken yard. . .the hog pen. . .the pasture. . .and the woods. . .There were no GMOs. . .Few chemical preservatives. . .No additives. . .Simply Good Food. . .
There is no doubt the ladies in our community were terrific cooks. . .It was an art. . .and one that is fast becoming lost. . .It's how I ate for at least 30 years. . .but then it became easier and it saved time to grab prepackaged items than baking my own cookies. . .than canning my own veggies. . .than spending time in the kitchen. . .Easier but not healthier. . .for I have become 'food sensitive' and/or 'food intolerant'. . .I know, I know. . .It sounds funny, but let me tell you, it is not. . .Ingesting just a smidgen of my trigger foods, I can get violently sick for days. . .and it can take weeks for me to completely get over it. . .In my search for a diet that would take out those foods and preservatives, I realized that family recipes and the old foodways. . .with a few changes. . .were exactly what I needed. . .and maybe what others might need, too. . .
Come with me on my journey to healthier eating through recipes from the 1920s to the present day . . .I'll share the original recipes and processes of cooking homemade. . .Where I've tweaked a recipe for myself, I'll share that with you also. . .This will be just good homemade food. . .I plan to share recipes for 'company dishes' such as my Mom's dressing in time for the holidays. . .and her candied sweet potatoes with lots of butter, pecans, and coconut. . .along with foods for everyday eating. . .and all Seasoned Southern Style. . .
To get you started, here are a few links to recipes I have shared in the past. . .
























Mouth watering, yet?
I'll be back soon with my Mom's Dressing Recipe. . .
a combination of white bread and cornbread and lots of flavor. . .
Get your taste buds ready. . .It's delicious. . .




**Passage from Born in the Delta by Margaret Jones Bolsterli, 1991


2 comments:

lala said...

I too have been trying to eat the whole foods way, it takes a bit of effort (mainly shopping around to find my organic products - no Whole Foods nearby). I do believe what we eat plays a major role in our health, but it is so worth it to eat healthy, real food. So looking forward to the stuffing recipe.

Winnie said...

Is this cookbook for sale? I would love to have a copy. I live over in Florida and there are so few good cookbooks about foods that are traditional for us. If the book is available, can you post here where I might purchase it? thank-you!! I have been following your site for over two years but never commented. I love it that you are doing lots of plain and simple these days. I feel such an urge to do the same but need inspiration on what and how to get there. Looking forward to your Christmas ideas!!