Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Lilies and Rabbits

If there's two things we have an abundance of at the farm, it's lilies and rabbits. . .They're EVERYWHERE. . .I'd love to share some lilies with someone. . .and rabbits. . .literally. . .This Spring and Summer has been a wet one. . .Everything is multiplying. . .the grass. . .the weeds. . .the wild flowers in our open field. . .and the day lilies--an overabundance this year. . .They are the one flower that grows well in the Delta. . .no matter what the weather. . .or who's growing them. . . .green thumb or not.
 
 
Mom had beds of yellow day lilies, orange day lilies, double day lilies, tiger lilies, surprise lilies. . .Well, you know where they wound up. . .Right here at the farm. . .We had enough lilies to put at the corn crib, at the garden house, in the front flower beds and at the barn. . . .After eight years of growing and multiplying--and a rainy year--it's time to thin them out. . . .I don't dare ask John to plant more in another area. . .I think the usually mild-mannered man might turn hostile. . .He likes lilies. . .but 'how many lilies does one farm need?'. . .He has a point.
 
How I wish I could send each one of you a bunch or two. . .along with maybe a few wild rabbits. . .
They're everywhere, too. . .until I grab a camera. . .They play right up to me when I'm sitting on the porch but let me grab my camera and they are nowhere in sight. . . I counted eight outside the kitchen window at dusk last night. . .Every year John swears he's gonna have rabbit stew in the winter but when it comes right down to it,  he's too much of a softie. . .
 
I've been sitting here on the porch. . .rocking away. . .gazing at the lilies and wondering what to do with them. . .thinking about the rabbits and how many we have this year. . .Lilies and Rabbits. . .Is there a connection here? . . .(grin). . .Do you think they're kin somehow? . .(double grin). . .
 
LIFE IS GOOD. . . .